Every morning I try to read five Psalms to prepare my mind to pray and to prepare for the day. Today I was scheduled to read Psalm 29, 59, 89, 119, and 149 and as I turned to Psalm 119 I was once again refreshed by the writers commitment to the Word of God. Over and over again he refers to the Word, but this morning verse 131 jumped off the page at me,
“I open my mouth and pant, because I long for your commandments.”
What a beautiful thought…we have seen that before, “As the deer pants for flowing streams so pants my soul for you, O God.” (Psalm 42:1) Why would we pant? Why should we long? Psalm 119 gives you 176 verses and each verse is full of reason after reason to pant for God and to long for His Word.
The other day, I picked up John Blanchard’s, How to Enjoy your Bible, and he listed nine pictures the Bible uses to describe itself. I offer these word pictures to you as reason to pant for God and to long for His Word.
- The Word is a Treasure, “More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold…” (Psalm 19:10)
- The Word is book of Wisdom, “Through your precepts I get understanding…” (Psalm 119:104)
- The Word is a Searchlight, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path,” (Psalm 119:105)
- The Word is a Guidebook, “All the paths of the LORD are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and testimonies.” (Psalm 25:10)
- The Word is a Mirror, “But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.” (James 1:25)
- The Word is a Stabilizer, “Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.” (Psalm 119:165)
- The Word is a Purifier, “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.” (Psalm 119:9)
- The Word is a Fixed Point of Reference, “Forever, O Lord, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens.” (Psalm 119:89)
- The Word is a Powerful Weapon, “…the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” (Blanchard, pages 18-19, I changed the verse on number 7, he used Ephesians 5:26.)
Let me urge you to mediate on the truth in this list and to learn to pant for God and for His Word!